The last 2 days I was busy to get something done in Android, the first day was productive, I got a development environment working, went thru a 'Hello Android' tutorial and got the basic structure for my app up and running. I could activate different activities with different layouts and had data access for temporary storage working. Today I spend on the connection with the back-end server, involving an OAuth based authentication and consuming some REST services.
A little bit of googling let me to several examples for OAuth authentication on Andriod using the signpost library. I've been working with OAuth before and I thought it was just hooking up the correct library and a bit of Java syntax to get it all working. It couldn't be very difficult. A bit of copy-paste got me going quickly.... until I got stuck on: 'Communication with the service provider failed'. I wasn't even able to get my first request token from the service. I googled more, tried several variations, started from scratch and started to get desperate. I left the project alone for a while, my way of finding new inspiration, and a few hours later googled a bit more and run into a Facebook developers getting started on mobile apps document. It suddenly got my attention because:
It made immediate sense, the 'Communication with the service provider failed' was just a result of no permissions. I was thrilled, quicky added
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET"></uses-permission>to the Android Manifest.xml and yes it was working.
Since this did the trick for me and nobody else mentions to try this I decided to share.