The test is nothing scientific, it just reflects some of my personal experiences
The Gowalla stuff I liked:
- It's the beauty, especially the iPad app is really stunning!
- It's faster, at least in my experience, to bring up a list of places nearby.
- It rewards creating new places by tweeting them around.
- It surprises you with newly found items and adds some fun by swapping them around.
- It's cool to add pictures with your check-ins.
- It's the beast, with more users (and more of my friends) and sharing is more fun with friends.
- Has much more places already available (unfortunately also many doubles).
- Mayorships are there to be protected.
- The surprises are in the badges, however it's getting harder and harder to get new ones
- Keeps cool stats of you check-ins.
Is this all relevant? No! Was it fun to do? Yes!